Student Portal - Frequently Asked Questions
How do I log in to the student portal?
Click on the link to the student portal (https://studentportal.scsa.wa.edu.au).
You will find this link on the Home page of the Authority website (https://www.scsa.wa.edu.au/) under Useful Links.
You will need your WA student number (WASN) and a personal email address. You must be able to access your personal email inbox to confirm your email address as part of the login process.
What is my WASN and where do I find it?
Your WASN is an eight-digit number that was allocated to you by the School Curriculum and Standards Authority (the Authority).
You will find your WASN on your school report/s. It may also be on your SmartRider.
What is my password?
Your initial password is a combination of your family name and date of birth — Nnddmmyyyy:
- Nn = the first two letters of your family name (not your initials): the first as a capital letter (A–Z) and the second as a lower case letter (a–z), excluding any punctuation or spaces
- ddmmyyyy = your date of birth in day month year format.
You will be prompted to choose a new password that is easy for you to remember. Your new password must contain a minimum of eight characters, with at least one digit (0–9), at least one capital letter (A–Z) and at least one lower case letter (a–z).
Re-enter your new password to confirm it. Make sure you keep your new password somewhere secure for the next time you log in to the student portal.
What do I do if I forget my new password?
Click on Forgot your password in the login panel.
Enter your WASN and select I'm not a robot then click on the Submit button.
You will receive an email to your personal email address. Click on the link in the email to reset your password.
You will be prompted to enter a new password and re-enter it to confirm your password, then click on the Reset button to set this new password.
Why do I need a personal email address?
The Authority communicates with you by email, so you need to add a personal email address that you use regularly. Using your personal email address will allow you to receive emails from the student portal after you have left school and your school email address has expired.
What are the Student Declaration and Permissions statements?
The Student Declaration and Permissions statements include your acceptance of the WACE requirements and rules as set out in the Year 12 Information Handbook. The Authority also asks permission to use your results, should you win an award, and other schoolwork (without identifying who you are) in media communications.
Which web browser should I use for the student portal?
The student portal is an online application that operates through your web browser. It is compatible with Windows® and Mac® operating systems (OS).
The Authority recommends Google Chrome®, Microsoft Edge® or Mozilla® Firefox® browsers for Windows users.
Mac OS users may use Apple® Safari®, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox or Microsoft Edge browsers.
I am having problems logging in. What do I do?
Try logging in again. Refer to the Student login and navigation guide. for assistance. You can also ask your school administrator to help you.
What do I do if the student portal is not loading?
If the student portal does not load, try clearing your browsing data (also referred to as browsing history or browser cache) and cookies.
How to clear your browsing data in Google Chrome® (on a PC):
- Click on the three dots symbol in the top navigation bar. Select More tools from the drop-down list then Clear browsing data. Alternatively, hold down Ctrl+Shift+Del at the same time for a shortcut.
- The Clear browsing data window will open. Choose the time range that you wish to delete from the drop-down list, i.e. Last hour, Last 24 hours, Last 7 days, Last 4 weeks or select All time.
- Elements of your browsing history are preselected (Browsing history, Download history, Cookies and other site data, and Cached images and files). You may deselect any of these if you wish. We recommend that you do not select Passwords and other sign-in data.
- Click on the Clear data button to remove your browser cache.
- Reload the link to the student portal and your browser should now work more efficiently.
Note: instructions for other internet browsers will be similar to the above.
Another way to clear the browsing data is to try a hard refresh, which will force the web page to reload without using your browser cache.
Windows users: hold down Ctrl and then press F5 on your keyboard.
Mac users: hold down Cmd and Shift and then press R on your keyboard.
If clearing your browsing history does not work, try using a different web browser on the same device. Or try using a different device or your mobile phone.
Sometimes your internet connection might affect your access to the student portal.
If you are using your mobile phone, turn off your wi-fi signal and use 4G or 5G, which will provide faster internet speed and access across a much broader area.
If you are at home, try resetting your internet router.
What do I do if I lock myself out of my account?
After three attempts to log in, you will be blocked. Wait 10 minutes and try again.
If your account has been locked, email firstname.lastname@example.org (monitored Monday to Friday between 8.00 am and 4.30 pm).
You must provide the following details in your email:
- Full name
- WA student number and school name
- Date of birth
- Home address details as they would appear in your Western Australian Statement of Student Achievement (WASSA).
Who can request a password reset?
The Authority can only reset a password at the request of the individual student, who must provide the necessary identifying information.
The Authority is not permitted to conduct a password reset at the request of parents.