11to12 Circulars - May 2020 Extraordinary edition
Vocational Education and Training (VET)
Year 12 student enrolments in VET units of competency, 2020
Jenny Offer (08) 9273 6313
Schools are reminded that the School Curriculum and Standards Authority (the Authority) requires Year 12 student enrolments in VET to be uploaded into the Student Information Records System (SIRS) as soon as possible, but not later than Thursday, 18 June 2020.
Schools need to ensure that they receive the correct enrolment information from registered training organisations (RTOs) relating to their students’ enrolments in units of competency and qualifications. It is important that schools acquire the appropriate documentation from the RTO to confirm enrolments before submitting the data to the Authority. This will ensure that accurate information is uploaded in SIRS to avoid issues at the time of providing student achievement reports.
Provision of course enrolments
The following sections of the Data Procedures Manual 2020 provide instructions relating to required actions (extracting data of students enrolled in VET units of competency, uploading the enrolments into SIRS and verifying these enrolments in SIRS):
Details relating to enrolments
RTP (Reporting to Parents) instructions for extracting the VET units of competency enrolment
Civica – MAZE instructions for extracting data for students enrolled in VET units of competency
Excel instructions for creating a CSV file for student enrolments in units of competency:
Synergetic instructions for extracting data of students enrolled in VET units of competency
SIRS instructions for uploading student enrolments
SIRS reports available to schools.
This information is available on the Authority website at:
It is important to note:
- The VET Unique Student Identifier (USI) is optional in the VET enrolment file (ENVET). However, it is required for units of competency and qualifications that contribute towards meeting the WACE requirements when reporting achievements through the RSVET and RSQUAL. If assistance is required regarding the USI, schools are advised to contact the USI Office on 1300 857 536 or via email email@example.com.
- Schools delivering VET that is integrated into a VET Industry Specific course must enrol the students in the units of competency as VET integrated in the ENVET file. Students who meet VET industry specific course requirements can achieve course unit credit towards a WACE. Further information relating to course credit allocation and WACE credit allocation can be found at: https://senior-secondary.scsa.wa.edu.au/vet/vet-industry-specific.
Consequences of not providing a VET USI
Jenny Offer (08) 9273 6313
Kerry Tarrant (08) 9273 6770
Student enrolments and achievements in VET
For Year 12 students in 2020, schools are reminded to include the VET Unique Student Identifier (USI) in their VET enrolment (ENVET), VET achievement (RSVET and RSQUAL) and student registration and demographic (SRGDG) files which are uploaded into the Student Information Records System (SIRS). The USI field is optional in these four files, however, it is required in the RSVET and RSQUAL files for units of competency and qualifications to contribute towards meeting the WACE requirements.
Students are required to have a USI before they can be issued with a statement of attainment or certificate from their RTO.
If assistance is required regarding the USI, schools are advised to contact the USI Office on 1300 857 536, or via email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Certification consequences of not providing a VET USI
Students who achieve VET units of competency or VET qualifications without a VET USI will not:
- have the results reported on the Western Australian Statement of Student Achievement (WASSA)
- have the achievements allocated unit equivalent/s and may not meet the requirements to receive a WACE
- have the achievements recognised in the completion requirement for VET Industry Specific courses.
VET – USI report
To assist schools to identify which students have a VET USI uploaded in SIRS, the Authority has developed a report in SIRS. The pathway to this report is as follows:
Reports > other reports > Report type: enrolments, Report: CSE195 – VET USI report.
This report will list (either ‘yes’ or ‘no’) to indicate if a VET USI has been uploaded for each student at the school who has VET enrolments in 2020.
Where students already have VET USIs, there is no need to obtain another USI for 2020.
Schools are reminded that the Authority requires Year 12 student enrolments in VET to be uploaded into SIRS as soon as possible, but not later than Thursday, 18 June 2020.
General Information, Sirs and Enrolments
2020 Activities Schedule – COVID-19 impacts
Jenny Offer(08) 9273 6313
Due to the impact of COVID-19, changes have been made to dates in the 2020 Activities Schedule.
Specifically, the following changes were made as at Thursday, 30 April:
- externally set tasks (ESTs) for General and Foundation courses in 2020 have been postponed until further notice and all associated dates, with the exception of the closing date for marker applications, removed. These will be reinstated when the ESTs are rescheduled
- NAPLAN 2020 has been cancelled and all associated dates removed
- Music ATAR course practical examination information collection forms and Physical Education Studies ATAR course practical examination sport and skill level elective forms were due to schools and providers on Thursday, 30 April but have been delayed. Further information will be provided shortly
- VET qualification estimates for Year 10–12 students (via ESQUAL file) should be uploaded into SIRS by Thursday, 21 May (originally Thursday, 30 April).
The revised 2020 Activities Schedule is available on the School Curriculum and Standards Authority (the Authority) website at three locations:
In these uncertain times, the Outlook calendar will not be available to download for Term 2.
The revised 2020 Term Planner will be available shortly.